• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

oberstbrooksy

Lt. General
68 Badges
Jul 20, 2008
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Victoria 2
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44 -  Back to Hell
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Surviving Mars
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Imperator: Rome Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
1y7syo.jpg

From the shores of Vancouver island, to the coast of Ceylon, from the public houses of London to the docks of Sydney, the British Empire stands as a testament to those who have gone before in the name of the Crown and Empire to put Britannia atop the world.

Surely the sun never sets upon the British Empire. She is at the top, and with the coming age of liberalism, industrialization, colonialism and social upheaval, will she remain at the top? However being the main superpower upon the global stage may be empowering, but it is also a very lonely position. Should the British empire ascend ever higher into the annuls of history and glory, just how lonely would she become?

(And so I present to you, humble reader in the name of the crown and empire, my AAR on the UK.

Humble you may be, but I shall empower you, I don't want to write out an encyclopedic entry after entry. I want you, as the AAR progresses to take part and pitch ideas in policy for the empire to follow.

For the purposes of the game and too prevent any far out ahistorical events, I will not make colonies into states, at least the non Anglophile colonies.

also bear in mind this is my first AAR ever...so criticism is very much encourage, as long as it is constructive, it is also a reason for me doing this AAR, I wanted to contribute something to this board having read so many AARs here.)

So come on chaps, have your say in the Empire

Rule Britannia!

Last edited:
Oh Yay! A British AAR! I don't think there's been a proper Vicky II AAR for the game's behemoth, and I'll definitely follow this one.

Rule Britannia indeed!

PS. You might want to fix bored to board in the last sentence in the parentheses/brackets. It might confuse others as it confused me.

Oh Yay! A British AAR! I don't think there's been a proper Vicky II AAR for the game's behemoth, and I'll definitely follow this one.

Rule Britannia indeed!

PS. You might want to fix bored to board in the last sentence in the parentheses/brackets. It might confuse others as it confused me.

Indeed, I haven't seen an AAR on the UK as of yet, or a proper one at least. I am going to try and put a real sense of a political model in the AAR with certain issue and suggestions (suggestions in-game are very much encouraged, I will see it as suggestions by Members of Parliament/Lords/Ministers so it adds a flare of role-play with the readers rather than me just dictating how I played this through.)

Also sorry in advance for any typos I may make, I type somewhat fast and leave somethings that should be unchanged, I will be sure to correct them and read over anything I post.

I think improving relationships with America is top prioirty. What lays there is powerful, industrial force that can be a loyal, fellow anglophone ally. Give them Caribou and don't colonize Washington/Oregon.

Indeed, I haven't seen an AAR on the UK as of yet, or a proper one at least. I am going to try and put a real sense of a political model in the AAR with certain issue and suggestions (suggestions in-game are very much encouraged, I will see it as suggestions by Members of Parliament/Lords/Ministers so it adds a flare of role-play with the readers rather than me just dictating how I played this through.)

Also sorry in advance for any typos I may make, I type somewhat fast and leave somethings that should be unchanged, I will be sure to correct them and read over anything I post.

It's okay. I also write fast and make typos. I just thought that I should warn you about this particular one because it had such a potential to confuse.

I second Omega124's initiative to get chummy with the US.

I think improving relationships with America is top prioirty. What lays there is powerful, industrial force that can be a loyal, fellow anglophone ally. Give them Caribou and don't colonize Washington/Oregon.

Quite frankly, I disagree. You cant just let the rebels go unpunished :)

1836-The State of the Empire, and the political crisis in Westminster palace.

Come the first of January 1836, saw gridlock in the highest branches of government, excluding the Monarch himself. The Whigs have been in power since 1830 and have enforced their liberal ideals in that time, however the appointment of new peers in the new year left a serious problem for the party. The Tory-Conservatives who have united into a loosely aligned electoral block in 1834 now greatly outnumbered the Whig peers in the House of Lords. This was a death knell for any would-be legislation the Whig government had hoped to enact. However unemployment subsidies, a health care system and even universal safety legislation was in place.

Politics.jpg

As it stands, the Prime Minister and leader of the Whigs William Lamb, the 2nd of Viscount Melbourne informed the house at its first sitting of the new year on the 10th, that he intended to carry on in government despite the crisis in the House of Lords. This led to protests from the conservative/Tory opposition who vowed that legislation would not be passed as long as this lasts.

William_Lamb_2nd_Viscount_Melbourne_by_Sir_Edwin_Henry_Landseer.jpg

Prime Minister Lamb

The PM Lamb announced later in the week that he had received offers of military alliances from the Kingdom of Prussia and the Belgian state, which already shared very close links with the UK, in one of the rare agreements cross the benches of both houses in Westminster, so the Anglo-Prussian and Anglo-Belgian alliance treaties where signed with in the first week of Parliament of the new year.

Alliances2.jpg

Another sign of the problems facing the liberal government was the recent revelations of government demographic reports showed great support for the conservatives. Also it shows massive population and ethnic imbalance, this would surely be a source of tension in the future, namely in the sub-continent.

Demographics.jpg

The demographics of the British empire

Also on the cards was where the government, weak as it seems send official colonialists to claim as a realm of the empire. North America was the clear option, but where exactly would they be sent? The Tories and conservatives decided to conspire to alter where these would be pioneers head to. The Liberals wished to send them to the British Canada territories of Columbia and Alberta, but the Tories wished to send them to the Washington territory, which was claimed by the United States, but had yet to be settled, this would set the UK in a collision course with the US in colonial matters. Eventually the Whigs concceded and pulled back on efforts for Alberta in favour for Washington. The Whig government was appearing very weak to the public and the King was not at all a supporter of the Whigs.

NorthAmericancolonies.jpg

The North American question

With in the Whig party came some dark suggestions, in order to rebuild some appearance of a stong party to defend the interests of the nation, looked upon 2 independent Indian minors as a source of these. Little known with in Gwalior and Sikkim that there independence is in danger. More clamer heads with in the Whig party did not see how this would solve the question over the conservative heavy house of Lords.

India.jpg

The latest victims of the British political crisis

And finally the Monarch, His Royal Highness William IV had been the King of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland and of Hanover since 1830, it was through his family that the UK held such close ties to the German kingdom of Hanover. However he was in his late 60's and his niece, Victoria was being groomed for acension to the throne and was rumoured to be in romantic circles with Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. It would seem the future of the British Monarchy was intertwined with those of numerous German states, and would found future diplomatic relations with this region.

WilliamIVWhileLordHighAdmiral.jpg

HRH William IV

Last edited:
I am not gonna lie, this is pretty hard, I was constantly adjusting the images in tinypic, alias to no avail. I will hopefully find a way to do the screenshots and such to make a bit more reader friendly.

But sorry to say chaps, I am personally leaning towards a confrontational view with the US, but who knows we may see this be reversed in debates in the 2 Houses.

PS:if the images get redited, its because I am correcting it.

You don't know how many times I spent tweaking these pictures, for it fail....badly

uuuggghh must sleep, I have a Russian class tomorrow!

>.<

I am not gonna lie, this is pretty hard, I was constantly adjusting the images in tinypic, alias to no avail. I will hopefully find a way to do the screenshots and such to make a bit more reader friendly.

But sorry to say chaps, I am personally leaning towards a confrontational view with the US, but who knows we may see this be reversed in debates in the 2 Houses.

PS:if the images get redited, its because I am correcting it.

You don't know how many times I spent tweaking these pictures, for it fail....badly

uuuggghh must sleep, I have a Russian class tomorrow!

>.<

Success, the Empire strikes back. I propose that we put up a huge statue of Queen Victoria in New York Harbour once we triumphed

Does anyone know why paradox put the Tory Party in? Its not historical, and seems totally nonsensical to me.

Last edited:
Success, the Empire strikes back. I propose that we put up a huge statue of Queen Victoria in New York Harbour once we triumphed

Tut tut. The Empire should be friends with the colonials, or forget about them at the very least. Hanging on to little things in the past has destroyed many a nation.

Tut tut. The Empire should be friends with the colonials, or forget about them at the very least. Hanging on to little things in the past has destroyed many a nation.

Quite on the contrary my friend. If we let the rebels live we are sending a signal. Then everyone will think they can just rise up and we wont do anything about it. First it will be Canada, then India, then Africa and then... Scotland!

I mean, these rebels didnt only fight us. They didnt only kill our men and take our land. No... Have you forgotten what they did? They threw our tea into the sea! That was not just an attack on the United Kingdom. That was a hideous strike against the crown! They laid siege to the very pilars of Brittishness!

We shall not tolerate this. We shall keep on contain them and we shall keep fighting and we shall keep burning down their cities until every ounce of tea is avenged!

Quite on the contrary my friend. If we let the rebels live we are sending a signal. Then everyone will think they can just rise up and we wont do anything about it. First it will be Canada, then India, then Africa and then... Scotland!

I mean, these rebels didnt only fight us. They didnt only kill our men and take our land. No... Have you forgotten what they did? They threw our tea into the sea! That was not just an attack on the United Kingdom. That was a hideous strike against the crown! They laid siege to the very pilars of Brittishness!

We shall not tolerate this. We shall keep on contain them and we shall keep fighting and we shall keep burning down their cities until every ounce of tea is avenged!

We only just won the War of 1812, and we already burned Washington doing it. Our beloved tea has been avenged.

Well, considering Britian didn't actually win anything out of the war, while America got some of their demands met (End of Impressment is a big one), that is debatable.

Poteto potato. The point was that our tea has been avenged, and it's time to put it behind us.

Last edited:
You chaps seem to be quite blind to the fact the large mountains in Columbia could hold vast reserves of various ores, not to mention the timber with which to keep His Majesty's Royal Navy in pristine condition upon the waves. Let the Colonials have their claim to the Washington territory, and we can all end today's session and get back to our homes for tea.

You chaps seem to be quite blind to the fact the large mountains in Columbia could hold vast reserves of various ores, not to mention the timber with which to keep His Majesty's Royal Navy in pristine condition upon the waves. Let the Colonials have their claim to the Washington territory, and we can all end today's session and get back to our homes for tea.

That's the spirit old chum! It is time to start rehabilitating Britain in their vision, not further antagonizing them

Does anyone know why paradox put the Tory Party in? Its not historical, and seems totally nonsensical to me.

At this period, the Tory party was still a seperate party, but it was basically in the process of decline and intergrating with the Conservatives.